Pokémini emulator on mac

The main forum, all general PM related threads go in here.
RayXambeR

Pokémini emulator on mac

Post by RayXambeR »

I have tried this windows emulator on a mac with "PlayOnMac" and it works :)
So, perhaps, people here could be interested in having the opportunity to play demos, homebrew games on Poke mini, easily on mac OS.
And, after finding the used keys, you can map them with an USB controller.
With that, you can avoid to pay 2.000 USD for Togepi Adventure (prices are completely ridiculous today)
YasaSheep

Re: Pokémini emulator on mac

Post by YasaSheep »

You should be able to compile the source on Mac, JustBurn just doesn't have a Mac.
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

Yep, Windows and any Linux distro works 100% fine on virtualization but MacOSX is very picky and really hates it (i'm aware that there's some hacked images around but they either run very SLOOOOOWW and are useless since can't reboot/shutdown or don't work at all).

I know someone who owns a mac laptop and he compiled the emulator without much trouble, he only required to change a single line in the Makefile because the mac imports SDL in a very "special" way.

Sadly mac users are the most complicated one, i really had troubles to finally convince him to test compiling it. They are the polar opposite of Linux users :lol:
... so yeah, that's why there's no compiled binaries of it.

lulz @ saving $2000 when owning a mac. :mrgreen:
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

Worst of all - almost every other MacOS release has a new set of requirements to compile/run stuff. I did compile PokeMini emulators several times in the last few years and have a working version now. But it always takes me some time to have it working. Maybe we should try to integrate those changes into release.
lasers

Post by lasers »

You could see if it's worth making a libretro core for Pokemini.

Making a core would support not only Mac OSX platform, but many other platforms too (over fifteen)... including PSP, PSP Vita, and smartphones.

"The goal for Retroarch is to have a game console platform unrestrained by platform boundaries and architecture differences. To this end, it strives to support as many platforms as possible."

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/
poketom

Post by poketom »

RayXambeR wrote:With that, you can avoid to pay 2.000 USD for Togepi Adventure (prices are completely ridiculous today)
JustBurn wrote:lulz @ saving $2000 when owning a mac.
The anti-Mac tribe can't resist waving their flag even in a Mac-specific thread. :roll:

RayXambeR is correct - you get Togepi and the Mac's free. ;)
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

poketom wrote: The anti-Mac tribe can't resist waving their flag even in a Mac-specific thread. :roll:
OK, lets get this straight, now. You can't me accuse me of "anti-Mac whatever" after reading my previous post. Macbook Pro was my main laptop for years and I had some Airs when my computing requirements were lower. But after waiting for like two years for the Apple announcement last week I was so greatly disappointed that it's hard to describe. And very sadly I am now looking for alternative of a portable, durable, high performance PC. All IT professionals and creative people are left in cold by Apple. I understand their strategy - better to target business people and masses and merge the iPod and Mac platforms but it was one stroke killing the big chunk of the macbook pro userbase.

This whole rant is to prove the fact that an Apple fan boy will have hard time accepting but, current anti-Mac tribe has a name - its called Apple.

Sorry for being off-topic...
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

lasers wrote:You could see if it's worth making a libretro core for Pokemini.

Making a core would support not only Mac OSX platform, but many other platforms too (over fifteen)... including PSP, PSP Vita, and smartphones.

"The goal for Retroarch is to have a game console platform unrestrained by platform boundaries and architecture differences. To this end, it strives to support as many platforms as possible."

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/
Already someone suggested me a libretro port but the pokemini project is currently on low priority. I have no clue when gonna work on it again.
lasers

Post by lasers »

@JustBurn

No worries! guicrith got the ball rolling.

Forum: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2918
Libretro: https://github.com/libretro/PokeMini
Thumbnails: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-th ... s/pull/147

I recall it was a little hard to use out of the box so there may be other things that need to be worked on... like controller support/remapping, no color and no savestates. Feel free to pop in anytime. :-)