Pac-It for Pokemon Mini

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
VirtualChris

Pac-It for Pokemon Mini

Post by VirtualChris »

One of the things I wanted to do with Pokemon Mini before I realized I couldn't do anything with it because I don't know Linux and it seems really hard to learn, is make a Pokemon-Mini version of the Sega Dreamcast VMU game "Pac-It", found on the Dreamcast version of Namco Museum.
The Dreamcast version also features an extra mini game titled Pac-It that can exclusively be played on the VMU, the gameplay of Pac-It is similar to Kaboom!.
I think the game play of Pac-It is more like the game play of the Atari 2600 game "Fast Food" rather than Kaboom. I can't find any footage of Pac-It on YouTube, but I did find Fast Food footage on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofVm9MVheDg
Seeing as how I have both a Dreamcast VMU and a Pokemon Mini console, I just thought it would be cool to see Pac-It on a Pokemon Mini, but I doubt anyone's reading this forum any more. It's become a ghost town in here. What happened?
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Re: Pac-It for Pokemon Mini

Post by JustBurn »

VirtualChris wrote:One of the things I wanted to do with Pokemon Mini before I realized I couldn't do anything with it because I don't know Linux and it seems really hard to learn ...
What do you mean? I developed all my pokémon-mini on a Windows machine.
VirtualChris wrote:... is make a Pokemon-Mini version of the Sega Dreamcast VMU game "Pac-It", found on the Dreamcast version of Namco Museum.
Nobody stopping you ;)
There's information scattered all over the place, a nice wiki with all hardware information and multiple "dev sdk" around (at least i know 3), you just need to glue the pieces together.
VirtualChris wrote:... but I doubt anyone's reading this forum any more. It's become a ghost town in here. What happened?
Well, sadly it's true...
I was hopping that "Psychics Seeds" game could spike some interest back to Pokémon-mini but sadly it completely failed.
Also Asterick discovered the original part type of the CPU (probably the biggest discovery to date) and the rest of the community remained the darn same!

Pokémon-mini nowadays is nothing more than a collectors item and nothing else, I pretty much lost hope by now...
RayXambeR

Post by RayXambeR »

Don't be too disappointed! Personnaly, I am very focused on homebrew games (on every machine and also for Poké mini). I just can't find time to test with attention Psychic Seed but I do that next week probably. I hope there will be some games like it in the near future and Pac-it could be the new great homebrew game to come!
Keep up the good work!

I just think, that we are in a "collector's world", if new games could be published on real cartridge, there will be more attention to them... just an idea! ;)
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

JustBurn wrote:...
Also Asterick discovered the original part type of the CPU (probably the biggest discovery to date) and the rest of the community remained the darn same!
Well as far as I've seen this hasn't really gone anywhere yet sadly. I'm not super interested in the "make the official dev tools work for PM" side of this but I would be interested in using them once they work. :3

With regard to Fast Food at least, it seems like it would be pretty easy to make even in assembly. I think it would be easy and neat to make the food tiles and look into horizontal scrolling of the tiles. You wouldn't have to deal with the sprite limit but you wouldn't be able to overlap food or anything (doesn't seem like it does). Seems like a good first project overall.
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

I got a title screen done.
I'd like to learn how to program more extensive stuff, like games, now that I finally got the thing to assemble .min files for me. I'd also like to make a Pokemon-themed game like Pac-It, but don't know much about the Pokemon universe. Are there any Pokemon that can take the place of Pac-Man? Isn't there a Pokemon that looks like a Pokeball? What is that?
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

Voltorb doesn't really have a mouth. But if you replace the dots with electric bolts (even conceptually) I guess that could work.

Another option might be Marill. It's basically a round, water version of Pikachu.
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

What about Snorlax?

And also, I'd like some sample code about how to move stuff around the screen.
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

Snorlax does already have a minigame, though. Something to consider. It's not quite round in the same way, either, since it has a separate head and body. Marill just has a tail to contend with.

Sprites are relatively simply to move, you just have to change the X and Y of it. The Pokemon Orange download here includes the source and is basically a fully example of map scrolling and sprite movement, though it's not smooth (it's locked to tiles). The Zelda Mini demo was posted with its source, too, and that's a smoother version.
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

Alright, how does this look? I did some research and it looks like Marill feeds on aquatic plants. I guess he could be avoiding something, like other water Pokemon or something.
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

VirtualChris wrote: Image
Those eyes lol. Is it a lot of work to do grey shading? I know the games had several different greys by flickering the pixels on and off at different speeds.