New flash cart in development

Official support and feedback forum for DITTO mini and older flash carts like PokéCard512.
zoranc

Re: New flash cart in development

Post by zoranc »

Not much of a news. The promised deadline didn't bring anything to share. Yesterday I've met with the hardware guy and he shared hope to bring it to life in the next weeks. Take it with a grain of salt however. I also am impatient to see the thing working, but unfortunately can't do much more right now... Sorry that I can't give more positive new this time.
scyther

Post by scyther »

Just ping him anytime anyone here shows interest :P Now one on me.
Zozo

Post by Zozo »

Is your partner not interested to talk here sometimes?
Tribe1l

Post by Tribe1l »

Any update?
PMOoze

Post by PMOoze »

Tribe1l wrote:Any update?
Ditto, still waiting patiently.
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Heya, I'm new here after discovering this awesome little console as a result of finding some Pokemon mini console/game manuals in a box behind my alley, and am very much interested in getting a cart and doing some development!

I do game art (specializing in pixel art but also just about anything art related as well) as well as gameplay design, and my husband's an electronics engineer (primarily PCB design but also software, drivers, reverse engineering, all that).

We used to do homebrew on the DS, but our house was robbed and we haven't replace our hardware since our backups were taken as well as the PCs which had the original source files, so it kinda killed our drive. My interest in this little console is very much piqued, and while my husband is too bogged down with work to team up on something with me, I'd be more than happy to work with someone here, and needless to say I'd have no issue assembling a cart from scratch on my own over here (even if it's a prototype that needs testing).

We get stuff via digikey on a weekly basis (we're in Chicago, US), and I can get boards made for super cheap, so I'd be happy to pitch in if I can be of any help. While I myself don't do the engineering in our house, I often help out with assembly on short order runs. ;)
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

mixiekins wrote:I do game art (specializing in pixel art but also just about anything art related as well
Welcome! Do you have samples of your pixel art? The pokemon mini introduces some interesting challenges when it comes to art, with the black and white display, though shading can be achieved using dithering, or by flickering pixels at different rates, as the LCD can only refresh so quickly. I imagine that gets to be a lot of work when being built into sprites and such...

I personally don't do any development, but I know many people here do.
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

RazorLeafAttack wrote:Do you have samples of your pixel art?...
..flickering pixels at different rates, as the LCD can only refresh so quickly.
Heya! Thanks, sure do! There's some posted to my art blog here, and an example of sprites from an old DS game over here. I have hundreds of others that can't yet be posted publicly, but I'd be happy to PM a .zip of some of those in the meantime.

Man, I can't wait to read up on the specs for the LCD, do you know offhand what the refresh rate is? Also, I snagged a Mini and cart off eBay that should arrive sometime around the end of the month, so hopefully I can tinker with a physical copy soon!
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

mixiekins wrote:Heya! Thanks, sure do! There's some posted to my art blog here, and an example of sprites from an old DS game over here. I have hundreds of others that can't yet be posted publicly, but I'd be happy to PM a .zip of some of those in the meantime.

Man, I can't wait to read up on the specs for the LCD, do you know offhand what the refresh rate is? Also, I snagged a Mini and cart off eBay that should arrive sometime around the end of the month, so hopefully I can tinker with a physical copy soon!
Wow, very impressive sprites!

I don't really know about the technical end of things. You should post in the dev forums though and they could probably give you a better idea of how that works. Test some of the homebrew games/demos too. There are demos with several colors you could check out.
http://www.pokemon-mini.net/games/?type=homebrew
PMOoze

Post by PMOoze »

Any updates, it's been awhile since we last heard any news?

PMOoze