Flash Cart Shells

Official support and feedback forum for DITTO mini and older flash carts like PokéCard512.
YasaSheep

Re: Flash Cart Shells

Post by YasaSheep »

Are you gonna end up selling these? ^^ I cannibalized a party mini for the last cart (only because it had poor contact without a case), it would be nice to have a made-to-fit case for the new one!
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

I know you're waiting to get your DITTO mini, but I was talking with someone who mentioned this site which came highly recommended for extremely high quality SLA 3d printing. Figured it was worth bringing up; not sure if you were planning to print these all on your own printer...
https://dirtypcbs.com/store/print3d
retronintendonerd

Post by retronintendonerd »

These are looking mighty fine! I'd love one for mine.
Pikpol
PM.net Staff

Post by Pikpol »

So I have been busy creating a shell as well.
This weekend I finished the 3D model. I tried recreating the original cartridge in full detail and I think I almost succeeded.
But the downside is that the model is not 3D printable with a normal 3D printer.
I hope to get my shell (with a hole for the connector) 3D printed through SLS this week.
Otherwise I try my luck with a normal 3D printer.

But maybe someone here knows a way to print these shells transparen? That would be cool.
I think I will try that with the back plate some time, as I think that one can be printed transparent on a normal 3D printer.
Molding is no option for me right now, unfortunately.

So mixiekins shells are still the best option if you do not want to break open an original cart.

This is a render of my cart. Who can spot my mistake(s)? :P
kingsoldier

Post by kingsoldier »

But why isn’t there in both options (yours and mixiekin ‘s) space to attach the sticker that is included in the flashkit?
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

@Pikpol Do you know what color yours will be? Also is that an indent that goes all the way around the shell where the sticker would be on an official shell? And what the heck, no downward pointing triangle?! How will people aim their carts into the slot lol
Pikpol
PM.net Staff

Post by Pikpol »

RazorLeafAttack wrote:@Pikpol Do you know what color yours will be? Also is that an indent that goes all the way around the shell where the sticker would be on an official shell? And what the heck, no downward pointing triangle?! How will people aim their carts into the slot lol
Since transparent is currently no option I opted for Yellow.
I do not really understand which indent you mean..
But I tried recreating the sticker indent, the triangle 'indent' and at the back the two indent lanes.
But I do not know how well they print. On a normal 3D printer they would definitely not work.

By the way, it may look like there is some kind of big indent in the middle. But this is actually the inside reflecting through the material. I can post some other pictures to show how it would be with non-transparent material

EDIT:
Here is a render of it being non-transparent. This is how my print probably is going to turn out. If you look closely, you'll see the indent for the sticker and the little arrow at the bottom
Last edited by Pikpol on February 11th, 2019, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Niiiice, that render is pretty slick.

Well, we have access to a printer that can do dual extrusion with a support filament that can be dissolved in water, but it's at my husband's office so we can use it after hours if need be.

We can use a clear resin (or even tinted clear; I personally want clear purple to match my N64 controllers). Not sure off the top of my head if we have clear resin on hand, but we do have black set aside for testing. We're quite a few steps off from making any casts at the moment, as we're waiting on the mail. Once the carts arrive we can take the necessary measurements and update the model to continue development.

Stuff on the checklist:
  • 1) get carts in mail
    2) measure carts and update the model to accommodate the programming port
    3) add a space for the sticker
    4) test if we can include the embossed/engraved DITTO Mini logo
    5) make serviceable prints
    6) smooth out the surface finish of said prints and buff out any imperfections
    7) make both sets of 2-part molds, one set for the face and another set for the rear half of the shell
    8) spin some resin casts in the vacuum chamber
Pikpol
PM.net Staff

Post by Pikpol »

mixiekins wrote:Niiiice, that render is pretty slick.

Well, we have access to a printer that can do dual extrusion with a support filament that can be dissolved in water, but it's at my husband's office so we can use it after hours if need be.

We can use a clear resin (or even tinted clear; I personally want clear purple to match my N64 controllers). Not sure off the top of my head if we have clear resin on hand, but we do have black set aside for testing. We're quite a few steps off from making any casts at the moment, as we're waiting on the mail. Once the carts arrive we can take the necessary measurements and update the model to continue development.

Stuff on the checklist:
  • 1) get carts in mail
    2) measure carts and update the model to accommodate the programming port
    3) add a space for the sticker
    4) test if we can include the embossed/engraved DITTO Mini logo
    5) make serviceable prints
    6) smooth out the surface finish of said prints and buff out any imperfections
    7) make both sets of 2-part molds, one set for the face and another set for the rear half of the shell
    8) spin some resin casts in the vacuum chamber
Thank you! :D

I love how you are really going to make resin casts for the shells.
A dual extrusion printer with dissolvable filament sounds like a great solution.
I hope they turn out great!
I can send you my models if you want?
Hopefully at the end of this week I have my 3D printed model myself, so I can test the shell.
Send me a message if you want the models :)
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Pikpol wrote: I can send you my models if you want?
Send me a message if you want the models :)
Sure, couldn't hurt, I'll PM you my email address.

Oh, and the yellow material on your preview makes it so much easier to view that front face! Yeah, not sure why the interior was making that optical illusion, your update should clear things up for everyone. :) Great work!