Pokémon Mini d-pad broken?

The main forum, all general PM related threads go in here.
Luigi

Pokémon Mini d-pad broken?

Post by Luigi »

Hello,

I recently bought two Minis and both had the same problem with the d-pad. All directions work fine except for left. When I'm using the d-pad in the menu of Pokémon Party all directions mostly work fine but after selecting a game the left key suddenly stops working. Also it somehow works better after removing the cartridge and putting it back in.
I'm wondering if this is a common problem since I bought two units from different people and both had the exact same problem. Is there a way to fix this? Or should I return both since I can't play all games without a functioning d-pad.
mixiekins
Admin

Re: Pokémon Mini d-pad broken?

Post by mixiekins »

Just to be sure I'm following:
You have 2 consoles and 1 cartridge; when you try to replicate the issue on either console by using the same cartridge, you can successfully trigger the malfunction on both.
(this is what's happening, right?)

I'd try testing it with a different cartridge (if possible), the likely culprit is the cartridge, rather than both consoles' D-pad. If you can't/won't get a second cartridge, perhaps you can try cleaning the contacts (seeing as how removing and re-inserting the cart sometimes/temporarily resolves the issue, it may be that this physical action is helping to re-seat the contacts correctly).

You can get a small bottle of Isopropyl (aka "rubbing") alcohol from a dollar store near the bandages, or any drug store. Dip the tip of a cotton swab ("Q-tip") and give a good rub on the contacts within the cart (going along the grain of the shiny metal pieces, so as to prevent fibers of cotton from getting snagged).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (11.26 KiB) Viewed 12459 times
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

Shame the units you bought don’t seem to be working quite right. I have also had one unit with issues but I’m pretty sure it was water damage since it had several buttons that never worked.

If you’re handy and have a triwing screwdriver, you could also try opening them up to see if there’s any obvious issues. Def try just cleaning the contacts on the cartridge first as Mixiekins mentioned
Luigi

Post by Luigi »

Thank your for your replies!
Sorry if I was a bit unclear. I bought one unit from ebay and returned it after I found out that the d-pad doesn't work correctly. Then I bought the second one which I haven't returned yet. Both had their own cartridge.
I tried cleaning the cartridge but sadly it doesn't seem to help. I guess I'll return my mini and wait for another offer.
Pikpol
PM.net Staff

Post by Pikpol »

Cleaning the contacts on the mini board itself can also help. But then you have to open up the device of course.