PokeMini for TI Nspire

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
blabla

PokeMini for TI Nspire

Post by blabla »

Hello,
just want to let you know guys i have ported PokeMini to the TI Nspire (CX).
You can get it at tiplanet.org or on omnimaga (with the source there).
It runs pretty well though not fullspeed even overclocked at 266 Mhz.
Would like to get it to mainline as well so Justburn if you see this, send me a pm.

That's pretty much it, maybe i should try to port a CHIP8 emulator to PokeMini ?
That could be fun.
Last edited by blabla on May 27th, 2015, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
zoranc

Re: PokeMini for TI Nspire

Post by zoranc »

And you got a TI Nspire emulator on the PC? ;-)

Joke aside sounds like great job you did. BTW I also considered buying one of those calculators some months ago, but did had a clear use case for them. Now we can port the C compiler, and...

Another side note TI-84 development community is much more active than ours and they have e plenty of games. The display resolution of TI-84 matches PokeMini so we can port some of the games I guess.
blabla

Post by blabla »

Thanks zoranc !
I wish it was a tad faster though... There's no sound on TI Nspire an i feel like sound-related things are still emulated in the cpu core. Don't know what to do
BTW I also considered buying one of those calculators some months ago, but did had a clear use case for them
They are not bad calculators (especially with Ndless) in my opinion.
My gripes with them is that my projects are sometimes crashes for unknow reasons
and all the drawing is handled by the CPU so it's a bit slow.
Another side note TI-84 development community is much more active than ours and they have e plenty of games. The display resolution of TI-84 matches PokeMini so we can port some of the games I guess.
That's exactly what i was trying to do 2 years ago when my TI-84 was still working.
I was even thinking about modding my TI-84 into a pokemon Mini.
I wanted to port Snorlax's Launch Time and wanted to reprogramming it in Axe.
But converting all the images was a pain in the ass at the time so i gave up.
We can also port TI-83/84 games to Pokemon Mini too.
Last edited by blabla on May 27th, 2015, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

Sound will not be emulated if it's disabled.
I assume you just ported the SDL one, usually that will run slow on handhelds and old generation consoles.
You should code it to interact with the hardware directly or use a low-level library designed for that system, if you do that i'll assure you'll get fullspeed (NDS can reach fullspeed in certain parts and it's only a ARM 66Mhz).

If the platform can't reach 100% speed at worse case scenario you should compile for 'performance', it will also boost speed a bit, just add -DPERFORMANCE into cflags (look at PSP/NDS or Dreamcast platforms).

If you use 'performance', don't forget to add POKEMINI_GENSOUND into PokeMini_Create, this will disable all expensive sound generators from being selected in the menu. e.g.:

Code: Select all

if (!PokeMini_Create(POKEMINI_GENSOUND, 0)) {
And (as obvious) you should set the screen size and color depth to match the hardware.
blabla

Post by blabla »

You should code it to interact with the hardware directly or use a low-level library designed for that system, if you do that i'll assure you'll get fullspeed (NDS can reach fullspeed in certain parts and it's only a ARM 66Mhz).
Sadly, it seems that SDL is the best library for emulators on TI Nspire.
For all the other libraries, you have to draw at one pixel at a time.
Also, it seems like the TI nspire port runs more or less on par with the NDS port.
JustBurn wrote: If the platform can't reach 100% speed at worse case scenario you should compile for 'performance', it will also boost speed a bit, just add -DPERFORMANCE into cflags (look at PSP/NDS or Dreamcast platforms).
I did pass this define to the compiler but it does not seem to make a huge difference :
Maybe i should try to increase StallCycles even more.

Thanks for the help.
blabla

Post by blabla »

Bump,
Justburn released version 0.6 of PokeMini and i have decided to update my port as well.
The only issue i had with is when you check the input :
once you go back, it crashes the calc.
Other than that, it's all good.

Oh, the full version of 'Physhic seeds' is provided as well, as an example game.
Hopefully Palkone & Justburn don't get too mad about it

As usual, it's available on tiplanet and omnimaga
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

If your talking about the no reaction on the input in the emulator's menu is because of a change in 0.60.
Previously the UI menu rendering function did both rendering and logics, in the latest one the logics are separated from the rendering (like they should had been from the start).

You should call UIMenu_Process(); inside the menu's loop.
Also PokeMini_VideoPalette_Index function has 2 extra parameters due to the new Bright & Contrast features.
Those are the only changes that should be done in the platform source code.
If still in doubt, check the source of any other platform.
blabla

Post by blabla »

JustBurn wrote:If your talking about the no reaction on the input in the emulator's menu is because of a change in 0.60.
Previously the UI menu rendering function did both rendering and logics, in the latest one the logics are separated from the rendering (like they should had been from the start).

You should call UIMenu_Process(); inside the menu's loop.
Also PokeMini_VideoPalette_Index function has 2 extra parameters due to the new Bright & Contrast features.
Those are the only changes that should be done in the platform source code.
If still in doubt, check the source of any other platform.
No it's not that, there is reaction when you go to "check input" but once you go back to the menu,
it crashes.
Ndless had its share issues to be honest, i have encountered this with many games/emulators i have ported.