Pokémon Mini Graphics Thread

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
YasaSheep

Re: Pokémon Mini Graphics Thread

Post by YasaSheep »

That is super cute. I wonder what Marill's journey would be like? :3
MiniMe

Post by MiniMe »

palkone wrote:Another pm game idea for a pokemon focused rpg
pm-rpg.gif
Oh wow, PM needs this! It could be an action RPG which would be simpler than mystery dungeon and more fun. Think the scope of Diablo 1 in a Pokemon universe.. With IR co-op :D
palkone

Post by palkone »

MiniMe wrote: Oh wow, PM needs this! It could be an action RPG which would be simpler than mystery dungeon and more fun. Think the scope of Diablo 1 in a Pokemon universe.. With IR co-op :D
:) yep the pokemon mini is lacking an adventure/action rpg and I think including a pokemon as the playable character would be the obvious choice instead of a pokemon gameboy clone. Yes using the IR to battle and play together is an excellent idea! I hope the graphics I create in this thread inspire future homebrew developers :ugeek:
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

palkone, cool effects and 3D animation, did you modeled the Magnemite yourself? :)
palkone wrote:Another pm game idea for a pokemon focused rpg
Is this for "Game Boy Mini"? :P
Because that has 4 shades...
MiniMe wrote:... With IR co-op :D
palkone wrote:Yes using the IR to battle and play together is an excellent idea!
You guys have ZERO clue how IR works on PM... :D
As far i know there's no game that transmits data transparently, same goes for GBC IR.
Unlike GB datalink which had a serial comm interface, the PM & GBC IR can only blink the LED directly with 1s and 0s on a register I/O, same for receiving.
The synchronization, the protocol, the error checking and correction, etc. has to be done by the programmer in the CPU, all requiring critical timing.
The CPU is kinda slow and the fact the PRC circuit will also stall your CPU during rendering makes the concept unpractical in exception of when you need to transmit/receive data at very specific moment of your game (Like trading score or items), notice during those periods there's no motion in the screen too.
palkone wrote:I hope the graphics I create in this thread inspire future homebrew developers :ugeek:
For the pokémon-mini? You better not hold your breath. I really doubt the community in 2016 will be more active than 2015. :lol:
palkone

Post by palkone »

JustBurn wrote:palkone, cool effects and 3D animation, did you modeled the Magnemite yourself? :)
Thank you, yes I did ;)
JustBurn wrote: Is this for "Game Boy Mini"? :P
Because that has 4 shades...
Yeah I wasn't keeping hardware limitations close in mind :oops:
JustBurn wrote: You guys have ZERO clue how IR works on PM... :D
Ha I guess we don't. I don't think I've ever used it more than once!
JustBurn wrote: For the pokémon-mini? You better not hold your breath. I really doubt the community in 2016 will be more active than 2015. :lol:
:lol: its a shame, the pokemon mini is such a great console! oh well, I just like making pm graphics for fun.
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

palkone wrote:
JustBurn wrote: For the pokémon-mini? You better not hold your breath. I really doubt the community in 2016 will be more active than 2015. :lol:
:lol: its a shame, the pokemon mini is such a great console! oh well, I just like making pm graphics for fun.
I still think there is a chance. In orde to beat it we just need two games in 2016 and/or a new flash cart. ;-)
MiniMe

Post by MiniMe »

JustBurn wrote: You guys have ZERO clue how IR works on PM... :D
As far i know there's no game that transmits data transparently, same goes for GBC IR.
Unlike GB datalink which had a serial comm interface, the PM & GBC IR can only blink the LED directly with 1s and 0s on a register I/O, same for receiving.
The synchronization, the protocol, the error checking and correction, etc. has to be done by the programmer in the CPU, all requiring critical timing.
The CPU is kinda slow and the fact the PRC circuit will also stall your CPU during rendering makes the concept unpractical in exception of when you need to transmit/receive data at very specific moment of your game (Like trading score or items), notice during those periods there's no motion in the screen too.
That's a bummer but I guess shouldn't be surprising:) The Zany Cards IR battle is definitely not very real-time, but I was given hope by Tetris where the IR battling is amazing and feels quite capable (though I can move mine to break the connection when my wife is destroying me ;) Something like Tetris is probably testing the IR multiplayer limits but it sparked my imagination, as have the great graphics and homebrews you guys cook up!
KR155E
Admin

Post by KR155E »

A PM version of the "Null Pointer" Mockup Demo I recently released for Virtual Boy. I guess the PM screen is a little bit too small for it. :D
null_pointer.png
null_pointer.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 26326 times
palkone

Post by palkone »

@ KR155E

Nice graphics! Looks like an interesting game, I'll have to check it out.
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

KR155E wrote:A PM version of the "Null Pointer" Mockup Demo I recently released for Virtual Boy. I guess the PM screen is a little bit too small for it. :D
null_pointer.png
hah, nice graphics, looking at the mini-map on the Virtual Boy snapshot that really seems like a metroid clone :D
Did VB emulation evolved? Last time i've checked one of the recommended emulators it did had issues and was last updated several years ago (around 2000ish times).

If you reduce your sprite and background to half the size, it will fit nicely in the PM screen ;)

Now talking about metroid... did remember an animation that did years ago and was in the old pokemé website:

... completely forgot about it :lol: