Would anybody like some help with art assets?

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
mixiekins
Admin

Would anybody like some help with art assets?

Post by mixiekins »

Heya!
I just posted on the new flashcart thread to show interest (hopefully to help cheer on the development team), and wanted to post here as well to let you guys know that I'm here and happy to lend a hand. :D

I've done 2d assets for games since 2008 or so, and currently am employed by a Nintendo 3rd party developer as the primary pixel artist, but will have some free time coming up next month to dig in. (Kinda bogged down at the moment, so just putting this out to everyone as a whole in advance since it might give some guys time to hear about it while I'm wrapping stuff up over here.)

Typically I prefer to work with technical artists so they can ping me with specs to be sure that my assets are formatted properly, but I'm fine working directly with programmers, too! :P I'll have a look into documentation and individual ongoing projects when things start to quiet down on my end. In the meantime, if you're working on something that could use some graphical help, please feel free to link me to your thread and give me a rundown of what you're making and what assets you think you'll need. If you guys can assemble a wish-list of assets in advance, it'll help me knock them all out faster next month by hitting the ground running. ;)

Oh, and my portfolio site is http://sepiarainbow.com/
It's due for an update, planned for next month as well, so pardon the outdated items; I have a massive catalogue of pixel art for my current main client, but can't post them until the game's announced at PAX later this month, so I've been putting the update off until then. There's a couple of recent Dailies on my twitter, though. :)
zoranc

Re: Would anybody like some help with art assets?

Post by zoranc »

Wow! Amazing! We really needed some pixel artists around. I love your art blog and the sample DS sprites you posted in the other thread. I also semi-plan to do a game that requires some serious pixel art, but right now I am burred with other work, and can't promisse when will be able to start it...

On the Pokemon Mini screen it is 96x64 pixels size black and white only. The tiles are 8x8 and hardware sprites are 16x16 (24 of them are available). Maximum refresh rate is 36 FPS. So in order to get one gray scale (3 colors in total - black, gray and white), one needs to flicker between white and black effectively reducing refresh rate in half. It is somewhat noticeable but still bearable. I suggest real hardware to actually experience it. Also there is a difference between a normal device and a backlighted one...

Did you manage to get a flash cart too, or just a regular game cart?
mixiekins
Admin

Re: Would anybody like some help with art assets?

Post by mixiekins »

Awesome! And thanks so much, glad you like my stuff. :D I'm also plowing through a Coursera class to test out of a Pixel Art certification (even got a scholarship for it). I really love these oldschool systems because of all the restrictions that require creativity to push the envelope, which is something you just don't learn from courses, but some clients just want to see papers. :|
zoranc wrote:...a game that requires some serious pixel art...

Do tell! Have you made a paper prototype yet to play around with the mechanics? I'd be happy to print out a copy to help test and balance it, if that would help. :D
zoranc wrote:...burred with other work...
Totally relate with you there. Hopefully gamedev projects can be a fun way to unwind at the end of the day. ;)
zoranc wrote:...Maximum refresh rate is 36 FP...
Oh, that all should give me plenty to work with, then. Thanks!
zoranc wrote:...there is a difference between a normal device and a backlighted one...

Oh, has anyone tried frontlights yet? My husband works for a local frontlight developer, and they do get consoles in now and then to make demos. Their smallest screen is a 1.26" 144x168 but we might be able to mod it (or one of the larger ones that might have a better ratio) to fit the 96x64 mini. They're super low power consumption and tiny flexible films, so I'll have a look at the internals once it arrives. It's coming from Japan and just hit California soil today, so I should have it here in Chicago soon. Oh! I totally forgot to post the demo screens I made for them. There we go.
zoranc wrote:...Did you manage to get a flash cart too, or just a regular game cart?
I've only gotten a regular cart, I'm hoping to make a replica of the case myself with the vacuum form tools or cast/mold stuff that I have access to, so I don't have to slice it up to put the ports for a modded board. :?