New Server

For discussion, questions, bug reports etc. about this site.
mixiekins
Admin

New Server

Post by mixiekins »

Hey all,

Just a heads up that the site/forum had been moved to a new server last month (Feb 2019), and for the most part seems to be settled in. There's a few idiosyncrasies that can be unique to one server or another and that need to be manually set up if they're missed in the sweep while packing up to move house, so if there's any bugs please don't hesitate to make a post about it in the Feedback section.

Technical stuff can be directed to myself, Mixiekins, going forward,
whereas community stuff is being handled by RazorLeafAttack.

Important!
We also have a Discord server to help expedite anything, and to serve as a backup mode of contact, so please do make note of and/or join that.
Toolshrink

Re: New Server

Post by Toolshrink »

I think the discord link expired... at least that was the message it gave me... :cry:
Toolshrink

Post by Toolshrink »

Also will the chat bar be restored? :shock:
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

Toolshrink wrote:Also will the chat bar be restored? :shock:
Is that something you use? We’ve started the Pokémon-Mini discord server with hopes of getting a more responsive community when it comes to somebody needing help or working on a game.

Just much more quicker communication than the forums.
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Ah, yeah. The in-site chat wasn't terribly active and there's issues in getting it working. It made more sense to just use Discord; it's conveniently available on all platforms, even mobile, without requiring you to keep a browser tab open (though you can use it in a browser tab if you prefer), and can double as an off-site backup mode of contact should anything happen with the webserver (since the in-site chat would be offline as well in that scenario).

I'm looking into updating the forum software and hopefully getting the main (informational) portion of the site off of wordpress (insecure and resource-hungry), so having an in-site chat is very low on the priority list at the moment. If there's enough demand, I'll see if I can cook something up later. Perhaps a bot that communicates with the Discord server so RazorLeaf and I don't have to watch two places that serve the same purpose.

Also testing image uploads for something unrelated:
test.jpg
Pikpol
PM.net Staff

Post by Pikpol »

I actually loved to use the in-site chat. I could easily see who was online and this was the way I communicated with members of this forum. So I would love to see it come back :D
I think it wouldn't be a problem if it runs through Discord with a bot. As long as people don't have to have a Discord account to use the in-site chat.
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Cool, I'll add it to my to-do list.
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

1) Fixed the corrupted post attachments that pre-date the move. I documented the issue here.

2) I've located a discord website widget to use. I'll implement it after...

3) ...upgrading to the newest phpbb and

4) moving the wordpress portion of the site to Hugo (should also negate the OOM errors that keep crashing mariadb)
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

mixiekins wrote:1) Fixed the corrupted post attachments that pre-date the move. I documented the issue here.

2) I've located a discord website widget to use. I'll implement it after...

3) ...upgrading to the newest phpbb and

4) moving the wordpress portion of the site to Hugo (should also negate the OOM errors that keep crashing mariadb)
Thanks a lot for all the hard work you put into supporting this site! It's highly appreciated!