PokeMusic 1.0 Help

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
Poke-dro

PokeMusic 1.0 Help

Post by Poke-dro »

I've been messing around with PokeMusic over the past few days but I have a problem.

The software crashes randomly and I've lost a lot of hours to it. Because the crashes seem random I have no way of circumventing them and therefore I can't do any 'serious' music making - it's just not worth the risk.

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround or a dev build lurking somewhere?

I'd really love to get cracking with this. I'm an experimental (read: rubbish! :P) and enjoy distilling things to their core essence. A single channel, square wave tracker is right up my street!

Please respond with some good news!

P :)
YasaSheep

Re: PokeMusic 1.0 Help

Post by YasaSheep »

I don't think he's touched it in years. I recommend you just save often.
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

Thanks for responding. That's a shame that it's no longer maintained. I see a lot of potential with it. I quite fantasised about a version that allows playback on a PM with some sort of visualisation support... You can but dream, eh? :)

I suppose constant saving is the only solution then. I might just go back to Boyscout and impose limits on myself (as if Boyscout isn't limited enough!)
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

You can try PokeMini Music Converter, i know is not a Tracker and you have to deal with MML language, but the tool can do some cool music.

Check some examples in http://code.google.com/p/pokemini/downl ... _tst_e.zip
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

I've had a look at it this evening. Boy, I'm lost! I'll keep playing though as I would really love to use my PM as part of my set... :)
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

Oh if it does MML, there are some MML sequencers. I can't really give any proper suggestions cause I'm not much of a music person, but people use them for a game I play that uses MML for its instruments.
The suggested one there is the 3ML editor, which there's an English version somewhere but the link is kind of dead. You can find the Japanese version here.
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

^
Thank you. :)

Maybe I can get something out of it. I have only recently got back into the idea of doing digital music. I haven't touched anything since Octamed back in the Amiga days!
KR155E
Admin

Post by KR155E »

I still have an english version of 3ML on my HDD, from back when I was experimenting with it for creating music for Virtual Boy homebrew. I attached it in case anyone is interested in it. :)
Attachments
3MLE 1910.rar
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 882 times
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

Cool! That'll make my life a little easier. Thanks. :)
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

Note that there's no real standard for MML language, everyone pretty much do they own implementation but the basics are always the same.

If you plan to use an editor such as 3MLE then stick to only use length, volume, notes and rest commands.
Looping doesn't support marker '|' and can be only nested up to 3 times, apart of that they work nicely and can actually compress your data if your repeating a sequence of notes.
Quantization and sustain doesn't work like most MML players but it's explained how it works on the converter/pmmusic in the docs.

Once you have a nice tune playing, prepare the format encapsulation that is required by the converter and work with the pulse-width, effects... if you feel like it.

You can preview music, pattern or sfx in the converter which emulate pmmusic and PokeMini sound circuit.

I'll recommend to read the documentation that comes with the debugger, there's info there of how the PokeMini Music Converter works and include an example (the example actually plays the little Pokémon-Mini tune!).