A Couple of Requests for PokeMini...

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
Poke-dro

A Couple of Requests for PokeMini...

Post by Poke-dro »

I know that accuracy is a priority but I was wondering if a couple of functionalitiy things could be added?

I'll list them so that they are easier to refer to in case anyone wants to reply. :)

A) Associate MIN files option with the emulator.
B) Recent ROMs list in the File menu
C) Option to switch off 'screen shaking'

I've tried associating files through Windows XP SP3 but once associated it doesn't work. When double-clicking a MIN file it just crashes...

The Recent ROMs list idea is just because I'm lazy!

The reason I'd like the option to switch off the screen shake is because it causes tearing on my netbook. Maybe a VSync option could also fix this?

Thanks for any future responses. :)
zoranc

Re: A Couple of Requests for PokeMini...

Post by zoranc »

I always missed an easy way (read one key press) to exit the emulator. Also drag and drop support for MIN files would be cool to have. How is emulation precision? I heard it's very exact and in my tests it is also so, just too double check your opinion on that.
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

Yeah, drag'n'drop would be good to. :)
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

Those are good feature requests, but i'll start first with the replies.
Poke-dro wrote:I've tried associating files through Windows XP SP3 but once associated it doesn't work. When double-clicking a MIN file it just crashes...
Thanks for letting me know about that, i've checked out the problem.
Anyway it should had been quicker if the bug report was done in the proper place: http://code.google.com/p/pokemini/issues/list
Poke-dro wrote:The reason I'd like the option to switch off the screen shake is because it causes tearing on my netbook. Maybe a VSync option could also fix this?
I'm not sure about "Wait for VSync" because Pokémon-Mini use an odd refresh rate (around 72Hz) and i can't stall the loop for low refresh rates such as 60 Hz, i'll probably need triple buffer but i never tried doing something like that.
zoranc wrote:I always missed an easy way (read one key press) to exit the emulator.
Again?... It's Alt+F4 (Doh!!) or Ctrl+Q (it display the combination inside the menu item!)

-

Now the suggestions:

Associate MIN files option with the emulator
That's very OS dependent, i only know how to do it on Windows (using Registry), if anyone know how to do on Linux it should be helpful.
Maybe i'll implement on Win32 GUI platform only.

Recent ROMs list in the File menu
Can be useful. it will be implemented on Debugger and Win32 GUI platforms

Option to switch off 'screen shaking'
Yes, will add that but then the user will be unable to know when the system is rumbling

Drag & Drop ROMs
It will be implemented on Debugger and Win32 GUI platforms
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

Linux is kind of a pain in the butt for association. But you do it by registering a mime type (eg. application/x-pokemon-mini) you can find the FreeDesktop info here.

As a quick helper, here's a mime info file:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
  <mime-type type="application/x-pokemon-mini">
    <comment>Pokémon Mini ROM</comment>
    <glob pattern="*.min"/>
    <magic priority="50">
      <match value="MN" type="string" offset="8448"/>
    </magic>
  </mime-type>
</mime-info>
Not sure the magic is working but the glob is so I don't really care anymore. e.e
This can go in:
Local: ~/.local/share/mime/packages/x-pokemon-mini.xml
System: /usr/share/mime/packages/x-pokemon-mini.xml

Then run:
Local: update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime/
System: update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

After that you have to make the desktop file for the application (edit as appropriate):

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=PokeMini
Exec=/path/to/PokeMini %f
Categories=Game;
MimeType=application/x-pokemon-mini;
Icon=/path/to/icon.png
Save as pokemini.desktop and install with:
Local: desktop-file-install --dir=$HOME/.local/share/applications/ --rebuild-mime-info-cache pokemini.desktop
System: sudo desktop-file-install --rebuild-mime-info-cache pokemini.desktop
Last edited by YasaSheep on May 11th, 2012, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

I'll probably skip file association in Linux because i'm afraid that any code could break anything on Linux (specially when all distros have different characteristics).

Anyway thanks everyone for the suggestions! They are already implemented in 0.5.2
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

Thank you very much. I can't wait for the next release. :)
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

I just came across build 0.5.2 and I'm loving it!

The file association is very handy and I notice the screen shake/rumble is a lot more solid. I take it you found a way of fixing a Vsync or other timing thingy?

Anyway, thanks again for your hard work - I really appreciate it as it's the only way for me to play homebrew and mess around making 1 channel music... At least until I get my grubby mitts on a flash cart!
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

The rumble code was changed but should behave exactly the same in "Strong" setting, in lower settings the rumble offset isn't so severe so it might not cause too much tear for your netbook screen.

I have no clue if Lupin will make any flashcards soon because there's low demand. :|
Poke-dro

Post by Poke-dro »

You're welcome. :)

That's interesting regarding the screen rumble as now it doesn't tear at all - even on the strong setting... Still, I'm not going to tempt fate. I'm just happy that it's now working flawlessly on my netbook.

As far as the flash cart situation goes is there a minimum order number that Lupin is waiting on? If there is maybe I could drum up some interest on other forums. For example, there may be interest over at GBATemp or NintendoAge...

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong but I can't get Pokemon Pinball Mini to save it's progress. Every time I start the game I have to start from the beginning. I've also tried downloading the ROM again from different sites just in case there was corruption in my ROM but to no avail. All other games I've tried have worked and saved fine...