C development environment with sources

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
zoranc

C development environment with sources

Post by zoranc »

Here is a package with development tools for PokemonMini with source code and build script. Included are C compiler, Asembler, Emulator. They all work under most posix systems. I tried them with several Flavors of Linux including Pandora Angrstrom with ARM processor.

The C compiler is made by Volker Barhelmann. I added back-end generator for PokeMini and did some minor changes to make build automatically. Assembler is made by darkfader. I made minor change in order to avoid dependence on external files. Emulator is made by JustBurn. There are two simple demo project done by me in order to show capabilities of the compiler and possibly ease start of other people. The big font with Cyrillic letters is donated by my friend Martin. Third demo is made by Lupin.

Flasher is missing but I find it hard to handle proper USB drivers on some of the platforms. Besides there are different versions of flasher.

In order to build the development environment just start the build_all.sh script from the shell. It will build C compiler, assembler and emulator and copy them to ~/bin directory (so you have to include it in the search path). Then it will compile for PM one of the demos and run it in the emulator. If you came to this step it means all went fine.

Under windows I recommend MinGW environment which doesn't create additional system dependencies. Emulator won't compile there but for that one you'll be better of, with the binary that has debugging capabilities.

As I don't have much time lately would be happy if someone could take over and further develop the compiler. Would be glad to support him.

So far I have tested the tools under: Windows MinGW, MacOS (with ports), Fedora, SuSE, CentOS, Angstrom. I like to have all the needed tools in one place. Some image and sound processing utilities are probably next step. There are some in the Emulator directories.

If someone or the creators wants his part removed please tell me.
Attachments
pmdev.tar.gz
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 1075 times
YasaSheep

Re: C development environment with sources

Post by YasaSheep »

Oh boy. :D I'll have to play around with this a bit, I've wanted the assembler on Linux. Runs fine in wine I think but I always dislike running command line things in wine.

Also, may I suggest a repo for the C compiler? If you're still planning to work on it at all, anyway. If you put it on github I can do pull requests and stuff too. :3
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Post by JustBurn »

zoranc, good work! Glad your back into your project :)

I once wanted to make the debugger package being ready for PM development but never had the chance to ask DarkFader permission for including the PMAS on it. (You can notice that by looking at the source at: /tools/pmas)

Could you provide a list of features that are working/not working?
zoranc wrote:Under windows I recommend MinGW environment which doesn't create additional system dependencies. Emulator won't compile there but for that one you'll be better of, with the binary that has debugging capabilities.
O Rly? I compile everything on Mingw except the consoles platforms and Win32 platform (that one is on VC 2005) without any problem, just make sure you deploy the SDL libs correctly into the Mingw and everything should work fine.

But is much better to go with the debugger platform instead of the SDL one (Not only the interface is more programmer friendly but also provide information and status of the hardware which is extremely useful), in that case you need the GTK+ 2.x libs too and his massive dependencies, all works fine under Mingw too.
zoranc wrote:I like to have all the needed tools in one place. Some image and sound processing utilities are probably next step. There are some in the Emulator directories.
Sure, feel free to include those, the information about the tools and the libs can be found on the debugger's documentation.
In fact they have C export support too! For the pmmusic lib you'll probably need to modify or do a wrapper due to the C functions' parameters.
I should love to see anything done with it.
Wa wrote:Oh boy. :D I'll have to play around with this a bit, I've wanted the assembler on Linux.
PMAS compiles fine without any modification under linux, just do "make release" and your done.
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

JustBurn wrote:...
PMAS compiles fine without any modification under linux, just do "make release" and your done.
Honestly I just never looked for the source. :3
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

I know it's old, but I tried it in Windows 10. I tried running build_all.sh like it said to, but it asks me what app I want to use to open it with, even when I open it with cmd. What is the answer?
EDIT: I tried downloading MinGW with Sourceforge, but it wouldn't let me.
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

VirtualChris wrote:I know it's old, but I tried it in Windows 10. I tried running build_all.sh like it said to, but it asks me what app I want to use to open it with, even when I open it with cmd. What is the answer?
EDIT: I tried downloading MinGW with Sourceforge, but it wouldn't let me.
I did quite detailed elaboration of the whole process about a year ago for you in this thread: http://www.pokemon-mini.net/forum/viewt ... f=3&t=1032 . Especially informative are the explanations on the 2. page of the thread. It was more or less hand holding for total newbies. Please try to READ them. Also put some effort to UNDERSTAND them. I still remember how much time I dedicated to those explanation (back then I was very, very busy) and a bitter taste in my moth when you basically ignored them all, and kept on complaining that "nothing works."