Expanded Version of Breeder?

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
mixiekins
Admin

Expanded Version of Breeder?

Post by mixiekins »

Heya, just putting this out there, but if I whip up the pixel art and draft up some state machines and such for extended gameplay mechanics, would anyone be up to the task of programming it? I've really loved playing with torchic and am hyped about being able to take him with me when the new rom carts are released, and would really like to have some additional gameplay elements.

I've heard that the official carts had a ton more capacity than what's been on them, and that they didn't get close to pushing the console's abilities, so I wonder how much we could add to it over time. :)

I'd love to hear any suggestions from everyone else here who likes Breeder, for the time being I was thinking about having additional areas with activities beyond the swing/steps outside as well as the poketoy drawer. I was also thinking of doing something with the pokepuffs cooking things and taking other such cues from poke-ami style minigames from other games in the series.

What do you guys think?
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Re: Expanded Version of Breeder?

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

I'm not here with any help, just to say that I'm looking forward to getting one of the flash carts and actually being able to read the text in Breeder. Got the actual cartridge; I don't really bother playing Pokémon Mini games on emulators

Seems like the perfect time for something like this to actually happen given the upcoming release of the flash cartridge
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Lucky! I find it difficult to stay on it with Breeder since I only use my PC for work, so I'm really looking forward to taking that game along with me.
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

I honestly haven't played breeder much but I always liked Pokemon Pikachu 2 and Hey You! Pikachu! not that I have any particular love for pikachu. It was always fun adventuring with him and finding stuff. I don't remember it much more than nostalgia-wise, I think you could collect fruit and stuff or something? Hmm. Anyways those could also be some sources of inspiration.

Not sure I could muster up the motivation to program it for you though, sorry, got a lot of projects to work on as it is. :(
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Those are great ideas, thanks Wa! I never did get to play Hey You Pikachu, I'll check it out. :D
MiniMe

Post by MiniMe »

Yes, playing this in English on original hardware is great though I haven’t in ages (have an earlier flash cart). I think mudkip was my guy ;) I’d look forward to any gameplay updates for sure.
mixiekins
Admin

Post by mixiekins »

Nice! I've had a hard time putting it down now that the new romcart arrived; breeder definitely is much more fun on original hardware, and there's some things I'd very much like to add and amend.

For starters, I'd like to set up a wakeup and bedtime scheduler. From what I've seen, it appears that the pet is set to wake up around 7am and start running out of energy around nightfall. This makes sense since the target demographic would be schoolkids (though, I can only speak from US experience) so AFAIK that means waking up at 6:30/7:00-ish on weekdays to get ready for school, and to go to bed (or focus on homework prior to bed) around nightfall.

This predetermined schedule is nice since it shouldn't interrupt sleep at night, but seeing as how the user-base is now much older, it would make sense to be able to set a wake and sleep routine that matches a user's lifestyle. I for one stay up until 1am routinely and tend not to have free time until noon, so the gameplay becomes punishing when I wake up every morning to the Professor chastising me.

There also doesn't seem to be any way to detect low battery, so the other day when it died in the morning while running errands, I wasn't able to put a new one in and pick up until the following morning. It would make more sense for the state to suspend until the battery level has returned to an optimal level once it gets low enough to signal the low battery display.

It also goes without saying that a vacation mode would be useful.

Aside from that, having more variety in things to do would be ideal, and to have music that can play on more than just the title screen and C button menu. I'm also perplexed as to why the music volume adjust doesn't have the same granularity as the SFX does.