Level layout tools like Tiled?

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
mixiekins
Admin

Level layout tools like Tiled?

Post by mixiekins »

I don't suppose it exists, but does anyone know if there are any level editors that the less programming-savvy of us can use to ease the burden of development? I've used https://www.mapeditor.org/ (Tiled) extensively on previous projects with great results, and was able to not only lay out levels with it, but also program responses and rudimentary conversation trees with NPCs, rearrange spritesheets to optimize space usage, and more all within that one tool.

I suppose that there would need to be some gateway to bridge the gap between the output from software like this and the programming environment everyone's using. Perhaps there's already something in use that I'm not aware of? What are some examples of your guys' various development pipelines?

Since I only have the vaguest sense of what would be involved in making use of Tiled, I ran it by my husband; after he glanced over the resources here and examined some game data, I was told it's feasible. He thinks it wouldn't be too far-fetched to set up, and is, to me at least, at a wizzardly god-like level, and routinely writes in assembly (which I'm told is what's used for programming for the mini), so I figure that's confirmation enough to bring this idea to the table.

The plan is to make a detailed tutorial on how to develop for this console, and what some pipeline recommendations are, since the bar of entry for arcane environments like this can be so intimidating. It'd be far from the level of ease and capability of, say, Unity, but it would be a start. Being able to make use of existing tools like Tiled would certainly make things a load easier, too, I'd wager. :)