Frank the Fruit Fly

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
VirtualChris

Re: Frank the Fruit Fly

Post by VirtualChris »

I think I figured it out. The reason why Frank's movement was flaky was because I was using the a variable in the title screen code to make him move around, flap his wings, but I was also using it in the code to switch between the two screens to get the gray effect. So in the code to get the gray effect, I switched a with b, and it worked fine. I'm guessing I can't use b in the screens that need both the b and a variables (which would be most of them.) So I guess it'll be just the title screen that has the gray effect? Does this make sense?

I'm wondering though why PokeMini emulator chose the .bmp format for screen captures when the .png format has way smaller file sizes. 162kb vs. 3kb.
snapshot.png
snapshot.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 19580 times
I guess the gray technique would work well for my abandoned Party 2 game, but not so much for Frank the Fruit Fly with tons of different screens to navigate through and complex code.
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

I found another variable to use: l. Now something like this is possible:
screen1withgray.png
screen1withgray.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 19574 times
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

glad you got the grey working. It looks very nice. Is the second method you show easier to code?
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

What I did was before I wrote to irq_prc_copy, have a list of the screens and then say what each one should go to. I tried it on my Pokemon Mini and it works, but not as well as in the emulator. So I'm going to try to make it work a lot better.
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

very nice. well keep it up! would you like me to update the screenshot on the homebrew page with one of the screenshots above?
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

I learned a lesson: Use the gray sparingly. Because if not, it will shimmer a bit on a real Pokemon Mini. The title screen though is fine for some reason. It will still work and still be gray, but it will display kind of weirdly (I don't know how to describe it. Put the rom on a real Pokemon Mini and try it out and you'll see what I mean if you look at the grass on the first screen.) What I am trying to describe does not happen on an emulator for some reason.
Attachments
ftff20190308.zip
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 978 times
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

I want the snowflakes to fall at a random x position each time. I have a bit of code that can do that, but it's in the wrong assembly type. Does anyone here know how to make this bit of code Pokemon Mini assembler-like?

Code: Select all

Random:
        lda Rand
        lsr
 ifconst Rand16
        rol Rand16
 endif
        bcc noeor
        eor #$B4 
noeor 
        sta Rand
 ifconst Rand16
        eor Rand16
 endif
        rts 	
Rand and Rand16 are variables to be put in RAM.
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

RazorLeafAttack wrote:very nice. well keep it up! would you like me to update the screenshot on the homebrew page with one of the screenshots above?
Yes, that would be nice.
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

VirtualChris wrote:
RazorLeafAttack wrote:very nice. well keep it up! would you like me to update the screenshot on the homebrew page with one of the screenshots above?
Yes, that would be nice.
Cool. Which one did you want me to use? Flat ground with mountain, or curvy ground?

You should also join the Discord server. There are some very smart people there that could probably answer your question in a few seconds. https://discord.gg/QZJaNZu
VirtualChris

Post by VirtualChris »

The flat ground, please. That one is the title screen.