In-Progress Pichu Bros. patch (feedback requested)

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
NikcDC

In-Progress Pichu Bros. patch (feedback requested)

Post by NikcDC »

Hello all!

This seemed like the place to post this. A couple years back I came across Mr. Blinky's page (http://mrblinky.net/pm/pichu/resources.htm) and started editing those images into the Pichu Bros ROM. I ended up getting busy and dropping the project.

Recently I was moving to a new PC and came across my old project files. I did a quick look to see if anyone had made a translation patch in the meantime and didn't come across any (let me know if I missed it), so I decided to finish up what I could.

I'm not an artist, so I was hoping for feedback as I go back and clean up my older work (as well as standardizing the fonts and such).

I'm waiting to post the patch until I get an okay from the original artists (since I used some of their work in my patch), but here's some of my unique content if you want to start critiquing:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
zoranc

Re: In-Progress Pichu Bros. patch (feedback requested)

Post by zoranc »

Great news. That was the last game not having English translation. Glad you picked it up again! Looking forward to have a full set translated.
NikcDC

Post by NikcDC »

Thanks! I just got messages from Wa/Kadalyn giving me permission to release their work as part of the first draft of the patch, so here it is:
Beta version 2
Download the zipped IPS here.

Apply it to the Pichu Bros MIN file using an IPS patcher (I use Lunar IPS). I only tested it in the PokeMin emulator, so I have no idea if it works on real hardware or not. Feedback is appreciated - I expect to make further revisions and additions, but it should cover the single player sections and the initial connection part of the multiplayer mode.
Last edited by NikcDC on May 21st, 2019, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
cZizzy

Post by cZizzy »

Hey! I tested this out on a mini (w/ ditto cart) and everything seems to be working fine. I checked every game, tutorial, and menu screens and it was all formatted and translated correctly- as far as I could tell. Great work!
scyther

Post by scyther »

I was waiting for this for a few years. Cool to see! We now have a flashcart, a somehwat active community, all the games translated. It's a good year for the PM!
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

I suggest that you change the game code from MBRJ to MBRE. Also write the game name in English in the other 12 chars that follow. That would be consistent with the other translations. I am doing a patch for the DITTO mini bootloader that recognizes game based on the game code, hence my concern to know what the code it will be.
NikcDC

Post by NikcDC »

scyther: Glad you like the patch! I'm getting ready to send out a second one with more multiplayer/error messages translated and some fixes/improvements (e.g. the music notes currently overlap the title on the clock settings screen)

zoranc: Thanks, glad you like it and that it plays on real hardware.
To your request, I assume I can just edit the header at 21AC to make those changes? Would you prefer PICHU BROS, Pichu Bros., or some other title for the next patch?
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

NikcDC wrote: May 20th, 2019, 16:16 zoranc: Thanks, glad you like it and that it plays on real hardware.
To your request, I assume I can just edit the header at 21AC to make those changes? Would you prefer PICHU BROS, Pichu Bros., or some other title for the next patch?
That's right just swap the last letter. For the title I would prefer "Pichu Bros." (no quotes). There is a 12 character space in there, so you can fill the rest with space (0x20) or 0.
NikcDC

Post by NikcDC »

Alright, here's the second beta version of the translation patch:
Download the zipped IPS here.

-Header language and title updates, per zoranc
-More multiplayer/error messages translated (all multiplayer images from Mr. Blinky's page plus new material)
-Fixes some errors (overlapping sprites, font casing, sprite alignment, etc)

I'm hoping to find some video of multiplayer so I can see how the remaining graphics in the ROM are used; if not, I'll translate them without context and wait for people to let me know what's wrong. :)