How to extract the sound files from the roms?

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
FerozElMejor

How to extract the sound files from the roms?

Post by FerozElMejor »

Hello everyone, I'm lookng for a tool to extract all the music files of the 10 roms from Pokémon Mini.

I would love any help for doing that :D
Toolshrink

Re: How to extract the sound files from the roms?

Post by Toolshrink »

If you have any luck, is it possible for you to share the files on the site? Thanks! ;)
FerozElMejor

Post by FerozElMejor »

Toolshrink wrote:If you have any luck, is it possible for you to share the files on the site? Thanks! ;)
Of course, but it seems that no one knows how to get these files, I would love to get they, and then share all the music on youtube and here.
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

FerozElMejor wrote:
Toolshrink wrote:If you have any luck, is it possible for you to share the files on the site? Thanks! ;)
Of course, but it seems that no one knows how to get these files, I would love to get they, and then share all the music on youtube and here.
Without access to the source code it would be difficult by just looking at the binary data...

One way is to run the games via emulator and record all the accesses to the sound registers and timers. That'd produce kind of sound file... You would need to modify the PokeMini for that.
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

Honestly it probably wouldn't be terrible to reverse engineer. There's only one way to write sound (movs/lds to the appropriate registers right?? https://www.pokemon-mini.net/documentation/audio/), so search for those ops in the debugger and put breaks on them, then step back to figure out where the data's coming from and how it's finding the start and end of that data. Hopefully an array of offsets somewhere, but if not you'd just need to go to each BGM until you find the pattern.
Jhynjhiruu

Post by Jhynjhiruu »

I would imagine that all of Nintendo's games use the same code for audio, given that they had some kind of development library; the (small amount of) work I've done reversing Pokémon Tetris from a disassembly has led to some insight on how audio is loaded, but as for extracting it I just read the values out from an emulator into my own ROM.
Jhynjhiruu

Post by Jhynjhiruu »

After a significant amount of research and reverse engineering: yes, it is in fact possible to extract audio data from ROMs. Minlib (Nintendo's SDK library for the Mini) contains audio playing code using a standard format consisting of note data and some control characters; I've been successful in replacing this data with my own, and I hope to write a converter soon.
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

Wow awesome work!
FerozElMejor

Post by FerozElMejor »

Jhynjhiruu wrote: December 20th, 2019, 05:16 After a significant amount of research and reverse engineering: yes, it is in fact possible to extract audio data from ROMs. Minlib (Nintendo's SDK library for the Mini) contains audio playing code using a standard format consisting of note data and some control characters; I've been successful in replacing this data with my own, and I hope to write a converter soon.
Oooh, that's really nice :D
Jhynjhiruu

Post by Jhynjhiruu »

OK, I've written a (very slow, incomplete) converter, and successfully converted raw Minlib note data into audio info which can be loaded in Audacity and exported. I want to work on the code a bit more before I release it, but I'll post some previews on the Discord server if you want to join that.