Pokémon Psychic Seeds [Demo]

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
JustBurn
Team Pokémé

Re: Pokèmon Psychic Seeds [demo]

Post by JustBurn »

Thanks everyone for the good feedback :)

"BONUS!" is about the bonus stage... you control only 1 exeggcute and the objective is to get into the goal without dropping into any pit, it's more like a platform stage rather than puzzle stage, you are always rewarded with a pokeball at the end.

The rumble motor is automatically disabled on low power, i believe commercial games does the same (i recall reading something like that in a manual)... and for a good reason, during testing i was using a weak battery and each time the bomb was about to explode the PM powered off immediately, it was rather annoying.

There's a lot to be explored with the current game mechanics... palkone idea was to introduce them one at a time as the game progress, I'm sure he will create some interesting and innovative puzzles to exploit those.
The stages in the demo won't be exactly at the same place and/or order of the full game.

About 3 shades pokemons in minidex, i doubt palkone will feel like redrawing all those 70 pokemons again (ouch) ... That limitation was partly my fault because I've complained that the ROM size was starting to be too big and wanted it to be below 256KB. Maybe that goal will be impossible... aw well...
Anyway, personally i think they look good with only 2 colors and the effort to change all of those is probably not worth much, I'll rather prefer palkone to focus on the level designing now.
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

Just beat this. A couple of them were kinda hard, but it was really fun. There were a lot of times I wanted an undo button though, haha.

Good work guys, can't wait for the next level set.
MiniMe

Re: Pokémon Psychic Seeds [demo]

Post by MiniMe »

Excellent game! Congrats on representing the system's potential so well! Evidently a lot of love and skill is going into this one. Love the logo and the 'look up/down' feature. I'm already wishing for a limited physical release once it is complete :) keep up the amazing work!
Mr. Blinky
Team Pokémé

Post by Mr. Blinky »

Awesome game! just played it on my backlight pm :D Completed all 5 stages. But stil need to find a way to collect the pokeball on stage 4. Some things I think would make the game even more enjoyable:

it would be great if you would sort the unlocked eggs by position so stepping through them would be less confusing.

I'd prefer jumping to the next egg by just pressing the B button. Use the B + L/R combination to jump to the previous egg

on the in game menu (C button) put the restart option at the top of the list.

reduce the delay before a rock starts to move so the game controls feel more responsive.

Keep it up! Can't wait for the next demo :D
palkone

Post by palkone »

Wa wrote:Just beat this. A couple of them were kinda hard, but it was really fun. There were a lot of times I wanted an undo button though, haha.

Good work guys, can't wait for the next level set.
No undo button :p Thanks Wa
MiniMe wrote:Excellent game! Congrats on representing the system's potential so well! Evidently a lot of love and skill is going into this one. Love the logo and the 'look up/down' feature. I'm already wishing for a limited physical release once it is complete :) keep up the amazing work!
Thanks =)
Mr. Blinky wrote:But stil need to find a way to collect the pokeball on stage 4.
Make sure you keep one Exeggcute on one of the leaves on the left.
Mr. Blinky wrote:it would be great if you would sort the unlocked eggs by position so stepping through them would be less confusing.
Interesting idea, so it checks the x position relevant to the current Exeggcute.
Mr. Blinky wrote:I'd prefer jumping to the next egg by just pressing the B button. Use the B + L/R combination to jump to the previous egg
That would mess with the b+down function.
Mr. Blinky wrote:on the in game menu (C button) put the restart option at the top of the list.
Having 'how to play' at the top instead of 'restart' reduces the risk of accidentally restarting.
Mr. Blinky wrote:reduce the delay before a rock starts to move so the game controls feel more responsive.
Having a slight delay with objects that can be pushed reduces the risk of pushing objects unintentionally.
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

palkone wrote:
Mr. Blinky wrote:reduce the delay before a rock starts to move so the game controls feel more responsive.
Having a slight delay with objects that can be pushed reduces the risk of pushing objects unintentionally.
Although I sort of agree with you, it actually made me miscalculate my pushing a lot, and is one of the reasons I mentioned the undo button. As it is, I'll commonly push the rock two spaces instead of just one. It needs some adjustment in my opinion, but how you do that is up to you.
palkone

Post by palkone »

Wa wrote:Although I sort of agree with you, it actually made me miscalculate my pushing a lot, and is one of the reasons I mentioned the undo button. As it is, I'll commonly push the rock two spaces instead of just one. It needs some adjustment in my opinion, but how you do that is up to you.
Testing pushable objects myself from the very beginning I have probably just gotten used to how it works. I will see what Justburn has to say about this and we will take everyone's feedback into consideration. Thank you Wa for the feedback, very much appreciated.
KR155E
Admin

Post by KR155E »

So I finally got around to give this game some screentime and... wow, am I impressed! Couldn't stop until I completed it 100%. An original game concept with such clever puzzles, such great graphics, so much polish... Homebrew games of this quality are really rare. I really hope you guys will eventually complete the game. Any chances for a Virtual Boy version, btw? :D
palkone

Post by palkone »

Thanks KR155E :) your kind words are very much appreciated. I'm working on the game right now actually :p

Virtual Boy? that's up to JustBurn :p
scyther

Post by scyther »

Good to see it's not dead. Will be loving any updates that come. :D