Just found my childhood Pokemon Mini

The main forum, all general PM related threads go in here.
spleen

Just found my childhood Pokemon Mini

Post by spleen »

Hello! Just registered on here cus I have a serious case of nostalgia. I found my Pokemon Mini (chikorita green) the other day and cleaned out some battery corrosion in it and got it running!

I bought it in France when I was probably probably younger than 10. Have three games for it, Puzzle Collection (in french), Pokemon Party (in english) and Pokemon Tetris (also in english). I also have an extra tetris cartridge with the label ripped off a little. Not sure why little me did that. But it's definitely just tetris.

Everything is running smoothly except the D-pad left sticks sometimes, which makes certain games difficult to play. Is there anyway to fix that?

This wasn't really a post meant to ask for help;;;; I mostly wanting to share my little discovery. But if anyone has any feedback on that small issue, that would be great!
Last edited by spleen on July 17th, 2016, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
MiniMe

Re: Just found my childhood Pokemon Mini

Post by MiniMe »

That is a cool story - congrats on digging it up and it working! I wish I had picked one up when they were new - I was vaguely aware of it back then but was at the age where I was not in the right market for it. Hopefully someone else can chime in on improving the d-pad.

With two copies of Tetris, you're almost set up for the most impressive multiplayer experience on PM - simultaneous Tetris battle via infrared! You'll just need a 2nd mini :) My wife can destroy me at it but its great fun. I hope you stick around!
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

Same here, I ignored PokeMini when it was released, partially because I wasn't it's target age group, partially because of the GBA hype. Then at some point I learned about it, got a flash cart and forgot again. Later yet I became crazy obsessed with it.

On the repairing issue I guess the PCB has to be cleaned in order to have better responsiveness. Not sure what is the best cleaning chemical, pure alcohol is my guess. On opening a PokeMini, its not so easy because Nintendo uses non standard tri-wing screws. So you need a special screwdriver. One place to order it online is dx.com, just search for "trigram screw" and buy the cheapest not "sold-out" item. Delivery is slow usually several weeks but they always deliver it. There are some more expensive alternatives too.

Glad you found our community, enjoy your stay here!
spleen

Post by spleen »

I hope I'll stick around too. But don't think I'll be able to get a second Pokemon Mini anytime soon so maybe I'll think about selling that second copy of tetris at a later date.

Thanks for the input! I'll look into that repair and see if I can dig through the forum for other tips. Good to know it's something that's (hopefully) fixable. I know I didn't play /that/ much as a kid to the point of permanent damage. I feel like little me did a pretty good job of not wrecking electronics.