A new way to backlight.

The main forum, all general PM related threads go in here.
asdfqwer426

A new way to backlight.

Post by asdfqwer426 »

I've been pretty big into gameboys the last few years, especially modding and backlighting them. I'm also a big pokemon fan. When I found out about the Pokemon Mini, it wasn't more than a couple weeks until I had one in the mail.

I also found out you could backlight these things, but I didn't have any old Siemens phones laying around. I did however have a partly damaged gameboy backlight laying around. I went ahead an cut it to size and installed it in my Mini.

It works great! You can see pictures here > http://imgur.com/a/5jjp2

I basically just cut it to size and installed it the exact same as the siemens backlight. It even has the diffusion layer built in.

I got the backlight from "handheldlegend", a gameboy modding parts site that has a ton of backlight color options. I just happened to have green on hand, but they have most any color you could want.

I would like to mention that I used an older and thicker version of their backlight that has been discontinued. This older version gives some pressure hot spots on the screen, as seen in the photos. I would imagine their newer thinner backlights would not have this issue at all.

Let me know if you have any questions!
YasaSheep

Re: A new way to backlight.

Post by YasaSheep »

Coool :D they have blue and purple too so you could match your unit.
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

Amazing! Would you be willing to make a tutorial on the method to build those? Also, would you do some of those for others?
asdfqwer426

Post by asdfqwer426 »

I'd be more than happy to to write up a tutorial, but I think I will wait a few weeks.

One of the things I love about the gameboy modding community and stores, is that many of the stores are run by enthusiasts like us. After making this, I sent a message to the store I get my backlights from, Handheldlegend, and showed him this work. I mentioned there might be a small market for pokemon mini sized backlights. He just asked for the dimensions of the backlight, and said he should have some samples made up in a few weeks! He even said he'd send me a sample free of charge to test out for him.

hopefully in a month or two we will be able to buy specially made pokemon mini backlights. I'll definitely keep you all updated as it happens.

in the mean time, I did try to write my imgur album linked above like a rough guide. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

Did this end up going anywhere? I would love to purchase a backlight from HHL rather than pulling from an old device.
asdfqwer426

Post by asdfqwer426 »

I have not heard anything in some time. I've been trying to be patient, but I think at this point I will message them. I'll post back here when I hear something.
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

asdfqwer426 wrote:I have not heard anything in some time. I've been trying to be patient, but I think at this point I will message them. I'll post back here when I hear something.
please keep us updated if you manage to do something in that direction. i'd love to hear of new/better ways for backlighting.
RazorLeafAttack
PM.net Staff

Post by RazorLeafAttack »

I'm in communication with HHL. They have placed a sample order and I will be getting on his case in one month to "keep him on his toes" as he requested. Sounds like there was a plan to start carrying these before and it fell off track. I'm going to make sure it keeps moving and the more other people show interest the more it becomes a viable business decision
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

I'd also love if someone does a service of building those.
asdfqwer426

Post by asdfqwer426 »

thanks to razorleafattack for contacting HHL while I was busy over the last month or so. HHL just messaged me today saying

"Hey, we had samples made and they are awaiting shipment with our other items in production. Thanks"

so, it sounds like it's just a matter of time until the samples are done.

and to Zoranc, I'd be happy to provide a service for doing these. once I get a sample and confirm the wiring, I'll probably be looking for a second unit to test a full install on.

I'd also be happy to write up a guide for those comfortable with soldering small things, although after looking back through my first post, I think I might just add a couple pictures of the new part instead of a full redo.