backlight?

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
zoranc

backlight?

Post by zoranc »

Found a nice mod in the Agilo's blog - backlight for the LCD. I would realy like to have that myself but I doubt it's easy to find the parts.

But then I was thinking is it possible to have the same effect with 1-2 white LEDs? Anyone tried that yet?
Agilo
PM.net Staff

Re: backlight?

Post by Agilo »

I don't know how well LED's would work.
MrBlinky (on IRC) built a backlight using an old mobile phone display, you could check with him on that.
Mr. Blinky
Team Pokémé

Post by Mr. Blinky »

Yup. I saw Agilos backlight PM too and then I just had to get a backlight too.

I had some Siemens C60 phones lying around in a junk box. When I ripped one of the displays out. I found out they where almost made to fit a PM. They need little tinkering. Just cutting of a bit of the top with a hobby knive to give some more space for PMs LCD cable.

I didn't get around doing a tutorial yet. But you can see the result here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Wu5u6ejwA

If you don't have a Siemens C60 Cell phone you can get the displays on Ebay for under 10 Euros.

Blinky
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

Wow! It looks awesome, especially considering that you had to remove the silver paper in the back of the screen. Would you be willing to make one for me, if you have an extra C60?
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

Wohooo! I got mine running. It has some shadow down in the middle between the two LEDs and some slight white marks on the screen.

But it is visible during the night, which is just awesome!!! I think that lack of backlight is probably biggest drawback of the PM hardware.
Agilo
PM.net Staff

Post by Agilo »

I take it MrBlinky gave you some instructions or something?
Do share, MrBlinky. ;)

(I'm assuming because MrBlinky once announced on IRC he would try and make a howto for backlighting a PM.)
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

Well, I basically disassembled 5 different phones and a friend with lots of hardware knowledge figured most things out. During the time my friend did most of the work I did chat with MrBlinky and he gave me idea where to connect the power...

Seems that MrBlinky did 2. mod and he made pictures so I suppose he is planing to post a HowTo soon.
Mr. Blinky
Team Pokémé

Post by Mr. Blinky »

Just could zoranc give some info about the wireing as he did most of the mod already. It's been a while since I did the mod so it was time to do another mod and document it this time.

Last weekend I modded another of my PMs. this time my PM SP. Result is great :D. Took pictures and had my camcorder running. Now I need to find some editing software and edit the lot together.

MrBlinky
zoranc

Post by zoranc »

How good turned the video out? Did you make enough pictures too? A html page with all the steps would be great to have. Sure video would be even better but I wouldn't bother...
Mr. Blinky
Team Pokémé

Post by Mr. Blinky »

zoranc wrote:How good turned the video out?
See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmFYFvkqOo

MrBlinky