Searching Flashcard

Sell, trade or buy PM stuff in here.
YasaSheep

Re: Searching Flashcard

Post by YasaSheep »

First of all, the save file isn't on the cart, it's on the console. That's why it's shared between games.
If one were to make the programs necessary (one for PM, one for comp) that sent the save data over the RF transmitter to a receiver on the computer (and vise-versa), such a thing would be possible. I'm not sure if anyone's made that yet, though. Also people having a RF port on their computer isn't very common.
Mr. Blinky
Team Pokémé

Post by Mr. Blinky »

Like Wa said. The saves are stored inside the EEPROM inside the Pokemon mini. The only way to backup and restore them would be by means of a utility stored on a flashcart.

The Pokecard 512 Rev 1 carts flash can only be programmed when it is inside it's linker. Programming it when inserted in Pokemon Mini is impossible. So the only way to backup and restore a savegame would be by using the Infrared transmitter/receiver.
Unfortunately there is no such utility.

The Pokecard 512 Rev 2 carts flash can be programmed from within Pokemon Mini. So flash can be used to backup and restore savegames. The Multi ROM Menu I wrote for the Pokecard 512 Rev 2 has a option to backup and restore save games to Pokemon Mini's EEPROM. It can be used to transfer a save game from one Pokemon Mini to another Pokemon Mini.

With the help of a utility a savegame could be pulled or pushed from/to a flash dump. But I was to lazy to write one :)
lopingg

Post by lopingg »

Thanks for the elaborate answers!

Firstly, I've already done my research about PM's way of saving EEPROM, with six available slots on the system itself in one file rather than separately on the carts. Sorry if I was unclear with that.

I was under the impression though, that with the help of a flash device, one could backup save files individually from the system or transfer the coherent EEPROM "block" file itself to a computer and vice versa.

I'm thinking about the PokeMini emulator's "Share EEPROM" function and this video from Blinky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqjh2_gz ... 43xgQCLYgw

Mabye I've misunderstood the purpose and process seen the video as I'm no tech genious, but if I've got this straight, with the flash device there exists no current way of transfering save data freely (regardless of how it is saved; individually or the whole EEPROM "block" from the system itself) to the computer and back into either the system or the flash cart, rendering the games cross playable from console <-> PC. How is it with a one-way transfer?

The important thing for me isn't really how the data is transfered and the use of a flash cart or not, but rather that the EEPROM data can somehow be transfered to the computer and playable with an emulator. That is what will motivate be to buy a flash device. A way back for the save files into the system would of course be a bonus, but from what I understand, that isn't just possible yet.

Feedback on all this?

Sorry for the messy explanations. :|
YasaSheep

Post by YasaSheep »

I'm not sure about if you back up individual saves for each game (but with a converter to make it the size of a full save file, that should work), but if you back up the full save, you can play it on the computer by using the shared save function. That save file and what's stored on the unit are the same format.
Mr. Blinky
Team Pokémé

Post by Mr. Blinky »

lopingg wrote:I was under the impression though, that with the help of a flash device, one could backup save files individually from the system or transfer the coherent EEPROM "block" file itself to a computer and vice versa.
In that clip a Pokecard512 Rev2 flash cart is used. It backups individual saves or a full backup to the flash cart (Nowadays it also can restore saves) You can dump the flash cart to PC. There is no tool yet to extract the savegames from the dump. But it can be done manually using a hex editor.

So in short with a Pokecart Rev2 and some manual work you can backup and restore save games.
lopingg wrote:That is what will motivate be to buy a flash device.
If you don't have a flash cart yet then you won't be able to just buy one. They are currently out of stock and most likely it will take a long time for new ones to be build.

When your only interrest in a flash cart is being able to dump /restore save games then you might consider interfacing with the I2C EEPROM directly.

With the help of a tri wing screw driver, soldering skills and google, you can get/build your own I2C save dumper/progger.

It may take some time to figure it out but it will most likely be quicker then waiting for a flash cart.
lopingg

Post by lopingg »

I see, it feels like I'm having a better picture of how it works. A flash cart would be neat though and I'm also a bit curious about the homebrew capabilities as well as the translations of the JAP-games, so I'll be patient and hope for a restock in the future. It's not like I'm in a hurry anyway. ;)

I'll definitely keep an eye out for updates and the like.

When I'm at it, I know that a ROM dump of Zany cards (USA) have been circling around this forum and is virtually impossible to find on the web. Is it online for me to find anywhere?

Thanks for all your help! :D