PkMn Orange Project page

PM development, programming, hacking and all that fun stuff.
YasaSheep

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by YasaSheep »

Apparently I'm banned from EF Net so I'm gonna just post and ask questions here. :x First of all I'm trying to think of a way to do collision checking. I'm thinking of storing the solidity state in binary and parse it, but I'm not sure what to store it for, the map or the tiles. Think there's a chance a certain tile would have to be in a different state? Past that, I'm not sure how to efficiently check if the tile you're about to step on is solid or not, I could probably check it in the map drawing section where I check if the guy needs to move screen location... >_< You guys got any ideas?
lameboyadvance
PM.net Staff

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by lameboyadvance »

In the original Pokemon games (and possibly the newer ones) I rememberthe collision checking was done by detecting what tile(s) were north south east & west of you. The tile(map) value determined if it was walkthrough or not. I also think that _any_ sprite counted as solid, but not sure on that one.
The only reason I know this is hours of Action Replay hacking. :P
PlayerOne

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by PlayerOne »

Yeah, I'd do it by tile. If you need a changeable tile in a map, use a sprite for it instead.
pkmn orange fan

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by pkmn orange fan »

cool.
YasaSheep

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by YasaSheep »

Okay so I'm presented with two choices here. Having above hero tiles or not. The original Pokemon games did not have them - I'm not sure about Ruby/Sapphire. I currently have the tiles able to be above hero, requiring two bits rather than 1, so if I were to remove the posibility for above hero tiles I would have to fix the parser stuff to read only 1 bit. Having above hero tiles though requires an assload of figuring out what to do to get them to draw above the hero's sprite. Really the only way I can think of to do this (keep in mind they'd have to draw over NPCs too) would be to not have sprites, but use the sprites as a layer over the tiles that point to places in RAM so I can draw directly to the tiles. Due to the small size of the screen, I think having to space out the parts that would need to be to compensate for above hero tiles now being solid we be too much, so I want to keep above hero tiles. But if that's not really a big deal, I can remove them and save myself a headache. Also the message box needs a way to draw over the hero, unless I run out of room for tiles and have to make the message box its own screen... thoughts? :/
Lupin
Team Pokémé

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by Lupin »

Use sprites for the message box. you just need 5 sprites for it to conver the full width of the screen with 2 lines of text.

Above hero tiles.... try to avoid them. but if needed then just make them as sprites. i thought you already got that working. You define some tile as above hero, if you notice the hero is steppin on that tile then you add a sprite above your hero (and above everything else). I don't really get what you're talking of there. If you got a way not to use above hero tiles then you shouldnt use them (cuz you need to handle them for NPCs too... probably)
YasaSheep

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by YasaSheep »

The problem with having the above hero tile as a sprite means I need to store all the sprites in RAM; then I would have to do something crazy for multiple above hero tiles being active. :/ Also I don't want to have sprites dedicated to the text box like that. It's 6 sprites accross, by the way. I may have to, though. I'm thinking I will actually take out above hero tiles... But looking at how many tiles are required for just the message box and being limited to 256 being accessible at a time I may actually have to make the message box it's entirely own screen. I hope that won't look too bad but at least it will solve all my problems.
PlayerOne

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by PlayerOne »

What happens if you switch out of tile/sprite render mode? Does it wipe the screen memory? Or can you draw over the last frame?

That was something I meant to investigate during my last burst of programming energy, but never quite got around to.
YasaSheep

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by YasaSheep »

Hmm, that's a good idea, I'll take a few goes at it when I can. If it works there may be hope to save above-hero tiles yet. :)
Lupin
Team Pokémé

PkMn Orange Project page

Post by Lupin »

I have no idea but the problem might be that you will always see the frame drawn by hardware on screen. then you manipulate it but if you want to redraw it you'll have to let the hardware draw the frame to screen and manipulate it again.